Thursday, March 17, 2011

When "ahs" are better than "ums"

Into my 2nd day of learning Turkish language. Lonely Planet Phrasebooks is smart enough to include some common errors, mistakes that could get you in trouble when experimenting with the language.

One particular one which caused my jaw to drop was found in page 38 (bottom).


The ums and ahs... When I shared this with my Turkish boss, he was so excited and surprised that I knew such a fact.

He shared that when he first came to Malaysia he could not understand why we have a bank in Malaysia called amBank cos in Turkish am means...(censored) and hence am bank would mean a bank or reserve of (am).

So whenever any of his turkish friends come to visit, he gets the same exclamation from them and many would make it a point to snap pictures of the bank. Yes it would indeed be a man's wildest dream come true if such a bank exist.

No comments:

Post a Comment